Proverbs 24:12

"...once our eyes are opened we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 5

I'm actually too tired to go into deep detail, but must tell you about yesterday... at least enough to explain why just the act of trying to leave my house turns into a comedy routine!

While trying hurry out of the house for an appointment in GR, everything seems to be pulling for my time.
After I scurry around to get ready to go and head for the door, the phone rings: the meat processor is ready to cut and wrap our beef, and still hasn't gotten orders from all of our customers. Whoo boy... don't have time for this! Make a few phone calls to solve the beef issue, field a few needs from one child or another, run back and forth to the van outside trying to make it look presentable again (to bring to the dealership in GR to have a hitch installed). During a check over of the back of the van, I notice the speaker cover which had been popped off early in our van ownership and decide that it's just too embarrassing to let the dealership see it that way. No problem... quickly run back into the house for some adhesive... glue... hold... remove hand... notice sag... reglue... hold again... let go... looks good... slam door to close... hear cover clunk onto the floor of van... sigh... give up.
I run back into the house to give final instructions and say good-byes. My last task is to give Ic a sermonette about how well he is to behave for his sister while I'm gone. I'm just about finished when he takes a swig of milk. The milk hits the wrong pipe which triggers an involuntary cough, and milk SPEWS across the kitchen.
I had been approaching the tension point = "I HAVE to get out of here... I'm LATE!" But this puts me over the opposite edge. I'm laughing so hard that I'm not actually very helpful to G as we mop up the milk from the kitchen table, chairs, bench, floor, and Ic's hands, feet, and face.
I am finally on my way, slip sliding the van up our icy road. Only about 1/4 mile from our house, I look up to see a Bald Eagle soaring in the sky. I watch both road and eagle... The eagle perches atop a huge, bright green pine tree, holding its wings out for balance. Gorgeous! Breathtaking!

Any day which starts with spewed milk AND a bald eagle is going to be a GREAT day!

2 comments:

Judy said...

But... how's the new hitch???
;-)

Sherri said...

lol... the hitch is just fine!
In fact, when I spoke to Berny by phone after having retrieved the van from the dealership, I said,"Berny, we have a problem.." (dramatic pause to let him work up some nervousness) "The hitch looks so great and spiffy new, that the old, rusty stock trailer is going to look really awful on it. You're going to have to get me a new trailer."

I think his response was along the lines of, "Dream on!" :)