Proverbs 24:12

"...once our eyes are opened we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act."

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Practicality List

Here's an example of our summer "Practicality List." It is still FAR more than any human being truly needs, and we've had to accomodate extras into the list for barn clothes vs. going to town clothes. We really know how to get clothing dirty here, but critters and farm mud will do that.

Jeans - 2-4 pair
khakis - 1 pair
Capris/shorts - 2-5 combined
socks - 7 pair
undies - 7 pair
T-shirts - 5-7
long sleeve T's - 3
Sweatshirts - 3
Sweaters - 2
skirts - 2 (boys: 0, obviously ;)
dresses - 1-2 (ditto above)
button up shirts - 1-3
tights - 1-2

Shoes: 1 play/barn, 1 mud boots, 1 Sunday, 1 sandals

So now the object of the game is to narrow this list a little further, and adapt it for winter wear. Space is precious!
The fun of making these lists: I almost never buy clothing. Our 'shopping days' consist of great hand-me-over bags! (thanks for the new term, Heather F.! Sounds so much more dignified than 'hand-me-downs.') Sometimes I have to search Goodwill for a particular item. Even more rarely, I head over to Meijer to purchase something new...and then it had better be on sale or clearance priced. Usually, I realize a need for something and just wait a week or two. Often it shows up in a hand-me-over bag... exactly what was needed!
So, God not only provides in big, awesome ways. He faithfully supplies ALL of our needs. We've never gone without what we truly needed.

I used to hoard clothing a bit... feeling that it was a treasure that I might just need for the next child in line. I've learned to be free and generous with hand-me-overs, and avoid stacks of boxes and bags. We still save a few things, but not much! Clutter is a BIG enemy in a large family, and we fight it everyday.

I wonder what the girls will think of all this abundance.

1 comment:

Heather Friesen said...

I am laughing about "hand-me-overs", even having coined the term!

I can take a few lessons from you, about being free to pass on the clothing et al, but like you I wonder if I shouldn't save for the next child, if there w/b a next. ;) I guess it is also difficult to pass on b/c of the memories of child in such cute clothes!

I can relate to God providing for our needs. Sometimes I buy the things we need (or want) and shortly thereafter God provides. Patience pays off!

Currently I am hoping for more suitcases to take to Ethiopia and leave there...should I go to the local thrift shop or wait...? Maybe I could post to my blog and will get donations...now there's an idea... :)

Heather F.